27 December 2010
26 December 2010
Menurut Dr. Ida Gunawan, MS, sebenarnya likopen tidak mempunyai aktivitas provitamin A. Hanya saja, kekuatannya sebagai antioksidan dua kali dari betakaroten (provitamin A) dan sepuluh kali lipat daripada vitamin E. Jadi reaksi likopen sebagai antioksidan di dalam tubuh jauh di atas vitamin A, C, E, maupun mineral lain. Berbagai penelitian dibuktikan manfaat likopen. Ia sangat baik untuk mencegah kanker, terutama kanker sel epitel seperti kanker prostat, paru, kolon (usus besar), ovarium, dan payudara.
09 May 2010
"I specifically look for fruits and vegetables that are organic and have the USDA label," said Greenwald.
Records revealed the organic food business made $26 billion in 2008. Consumers can tell if an item is organic by the price and the USDA label. Government rules show the USDA is supposed to certify that a product claiming to be organic truly is. Still, research by the agency's own watch dog group found real problems with that program. Channel 2 Consumer Investigator Jim Strickland got looked at an audit that spelled it all out.
According to USDA procedures, organic foods get the label only after inspectors verify the farm uses no chemicals to kill the weeds or bugs.
The organization confirmed it uses mostly private inspectors, but the audit found its oversight is poor and the standards inconsistent. The audit cited slow responses to complaints and lax enforcement against cheaters.
There's not enough oversight that's actually occurring to ensure that what you're buying is indeed organic," said Dr. Mike Doyle of the University of Georgia's Center for Food Safety. "If you're going to put that label on it to say it's organic, then you have to follow those standards."
Federal law also states the certifiers are supposed to spot-check organic foods to look for forbidden chemicals. Auditors said they found no evidence of periodic testing anywhere.
"I've been feeding my children foods that I thought were giving their bodies more support, and nobody's watching it," Greenwald said.
One reason could be the cost of the testing. Channel 2 Action News paid a local lab more than $1000 to test three samples of Whole Foods' frozen organic vegetables we bought at Harry's Farmer's Market. All had the organic seal, but the label showed they came from China. The testing revealed the vegetables were chemical free. A representative at Whole Foods told Strickland the company does its own spot-checking.
Officials with the federal government said its testing program will begin in September.
Meanwhile, members of the advocacy group Georgia Organics said consumers can exercise control themselves by buying from local farms and buying in season.
"I guess in everything there are going to be cheaters. That's one more reason to know your farmer and know where your food stuff comes from," said Alice Rolls with Georgia Organics.
Copyright 2010 by WSBTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
15 April 2010
Benefits of several types of organic food for health:
* Avocados: to maintain good health and growth of cells.
* Garlic: antikolesterol and premature aging.
* Onion: help prevent stomach cancer.
* Spinach: good for brain health and vision health.
* Fruit berry: prevent infection of the prostate and urethra.
* Broccoli: helping the body dispose of substances are carcinogens.
* Cabbage: useful for the prevention of colon cancer, stomach and breast
* Tomatoes: to help prevent cervical cancer, pancreas and intestine.
* Carrots: preventing premature aging.
The benefits of organic food
* Working to clean the blood.
* Discard the toxins that accumulate in cells.
* Assist the regeneration of new cells.
* Maintain levels of acid-base balance without drugs, vitamins or any additional supplements.
Advantages of organic food
* Have a better nutritional content. The average organic food has vitamin C, minerals, and phytonutrients (substances in plants that can fight cancer) is higher than conventional food.
* Organic food is more durable not easy to talk.
* Saves the production process and reduce the level of environmental damage.
Non-organic food hazards
a. Elements and the effects of pesticides contained in foods:
* Causing disturbances of consciousness (cognitive dysfunction) as difficult to spell, read, write, distinguish colors, including speaking.
* Increasing the risk to the physical disruption of the brain.
* One of the causes of breast cancer.
* Potential to cause problems with sperm production.
b. Pesticide threat to humanity.
* Threatening the next generation. Children are potentially exposed to more pesticides than adults.
* Pollution of ground water.
* Wasteful of energy, lots of energy needed to produce chemical fertilizers than to cultivate and harvest crops.
Organic foods Tips
* Choose vegetables, fruits or meat which has in fact has particularly clear and official label.
* Wash the organic vegetables or fruits with running water (tap) several times, in order to avoid vegetables from silkworm eggs.
* Boil the vegetables with a fairly hot temperature. So that can be deadly bacteria that stick to eggs (Source : sehat-organik.com)
29 March 2010
Some 25 percent of the world’s pesticides and 10 percent of insecticides go to cotton crops every year. In addition, petroleum scouring agents, softeners, brighteners, heavy metals, flame and soil retardants, ammonia and formaldehyde are used in the processing of cotton once it is harvested. Beyond the environmental impacts of this onslaught in the vicinity of production facilities, there is increasing concern that residues of some of these chemicals might rub off on baby. According to Rachel Birchler of Mooi, a Pittsburgh-based organic children’s clothing boutique, a baby’s skin is more porous and thinner than that of an adult, and as such absorbs stuff more easily. “This means that children are at greater risk for pesticide-related health problems than adults,” she says.
Johnson & Johnson, one of the world’s leading purveyors of baby products, states on its website that “a baby’s skin is thinner, more fragile and less oily than an adult’s” and is “less resistant to bacteria and harmful substances in the environment.” Lotus Organics, which makes organic clothing for both babies and adults, reports that “millions of children in the U.S. receive up to 35 percent of their estimated lifetime dose of some carcinogenic pesticides by age five through food, contaminated drinking water, household use, and pesticide drift.”
So if organic cotton is so much better all around, why aren’t we all swaddling our babies in it and wearing it ourselves? It’s all about cost. Clothing and bedding made from organic cotton is typically more expensive than similar products made with conventional cotton. Consumers watching their spending are often unwilling to pay more for a t-shirt or pants that are just going to get spilled on and beaten up.
But boosters for organic cotton say that paying less for conventional cotton items is penny wise and pound foolish. “Conventionally produced cotton material lasts 10-20 washes before it starts to break down,” reports Mooi’s Birchler. “An organic cotton material lasts for 100 washes or more before it begins to wear down.” How could that be? “Conventionally produced cotton take so much abuse in production because it goes through scouring, bleaching, dying, softeners, formaldehyde spray, and flame and soil retardants before it is even shipped to be cut for patterns,” she explains.
Also, with more and more organic cotton products becoming available every day, from specialty shops to major retailers like Wal-Mart and Target, the price premium for going organic is starting to shrink.
CONTACTS: Mooi, www.mooishop.com; Johnson & Johnson, www.jnj.com; Lotus Organics, www.lotusorganics.com.
Bawang berlian alias bawang dayak mengandung senyawa naphtoquinonens dan turunannya seperti elecanacine, eleutherine, eleutherol, eleuthernone. Naphtoquinones dikenal sebagai antimikroba, antifungal, antivirial dan antiparasitik. Selain itu, naphtoquinones memiliki bioaktivitas sebagai antikanker dan antioksidan yang biasanya terdapat di dalam sel vakuola dalam bentuk glikosida.
Komponen antioksidan memiliki peranan penting bagi perlindungan kesehatan tubuh. Para ahli berpendapat bahwa antioksidan mampu mereduksi risiko penyakit kronis seperti kanker dan penyakit jantung. Penggunaan antioksidan alami saat ini dianggap lebih aman karena antioksidan alami diperoleh dari ekstrak tanaman. Antioksidan alami yang terdapat pada tanaman antara lain kelompok flavonoid berupa senyawa polifenol. Bawang berlian alias bawang dayak memiliki kelompok flavonoid. (source : www.bebeja-agribisnis.com)